Month 2 – CHECK! This month was easier in some ways, but harder in others. For starters, I worked on building up to 30mg two times a day, so doubling my dosage has made some side effects more prominent, but now that my body has had time to become acclimated to the medication, some side effects have faded. So, without further ado, here’s the update on my Accutane journey.
If you’re new to The Southern Sooner and have missed my previous posts regarding acne + Accutane, catch up here:
- How to Cope with Chronic Acne: Treatment Tips + Boosting Confidence
- My Decision to Start Accutane
- My Accutane Journey: Month 1
This post may include affiliate link(s), meaning, at no cost to you, I will earn commission if you click through and make a purchase.
THIS POST IS NOT A PROMOTION FOR ACCUTANE. ACCUTANE IS A SERIOUS DRUG WITH SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS AND IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. I AM ONLY LOGGING MY EXPERIENCE (AFTER YEARS OF OTHER, SAFER TREATMENTS) FOR THOSE THAT ARE TRYING TO DO RESEARCH TO MAKE THEIR OWN PERSONAL DECISIONS REGARDING ACCUTANE. TALK TO YOUR DERMATOLOGIST.
While I feel like there might not have been a drastic improvement between month 1 and month 2, it was during this second month that I received some of my first compliments on my skin – and not from people who know my acne history or the fact that I’m on the medication. To some people it might not seem like that big of a deal to receive those types of comments, but words like “you have beautiful skin” are something I never expected to hear people say… to me.
- Some dry + sensitive skin on knuckles, cheeks, nose, above upper lip (all other skin is sort of sensitive to the touch, especially if I rub too hard). But for the most part, skin dryness seems to be under control.
- Still moody. It’s gotten better, but I’m still pretty snappy out of nowhere (which really isn’t me, you guys, normally I walk on eggshells in confrontational situations because I don’t want to risk making anyone uncomfortable/upset/hurt, so I’d usually keep my thoughts + emotions to myself). Anxiety + depression + thoughts of suicide can be common side effects to taking Accutane, so if you are prone to those conditions, please remain cautious while using the drug. I do have anxiety, but I am treated for it and am blessed that it hasn’t escalated – but it’s something I will continue to keep an eye on.
- MY LIPS ARE SO DRY.
- Slight second “purge phase.” Not as bad as the first, but I still went through a phase where I was breaking out more than normal… but that might be due to the unintentional 6 day break between refills (oops).
- Redness, mostly on my face.
- This one is not a bad side effect, really, but my hair rarely gets greasy anymore. It was hard to notice that it was the Accutane at first since my hair has adjusted to less hair washings, but I am getting to the point that my face is significantly less oily than it used to be, so it makes sense that my hair is doing the same.
SKINCARE PRODUCTS FOR ACCUTANE
So far I still stand by the products I talked about in my month 1 update, but here are some other products that have helped me during month 2!
Seacret Direct Mineral Mud Soap – Y’all. This has worked wonders on the eczema breakouts I have! I had seen pictures of how it worked for other people and I decided to try it for myself and needless to say, I have been so thankful for the relief it provides!!! And this is a total side note, but it’s the only thing that has helped clear up an infected toe nail of mine (after 4 years of trying prescription creams + medications for it, a bar of soap is the only thing that’s helped. It’s wild!) I HIGHLY recommend!
- I am a consultant for Seacret Direct which utilizes naturally occurring minerals, nutrients, and mud from the Dead Sea in their products to promote rejuvenation + restoration. By going to http://www.seacretdirect.com/samanthamilburn I will earn commission from any purchases made.
- If you make a $99 purchase, you’ll qualify for VIP status in which you receive a 20% discount on all other following purchases, and receive free shipping.
- If you’re interested in other products that will help out with alleviating any Accutane side effects, I highly recommend the toner (one of my favorite hydrating products!) and the intensive moisture cream (either day or night cream) – buying these along with the mud soap will qualify you for VIP!
Arbonne Calm Collection – Arbonne’s skincare is vegan + paraben free and follows the European chemical ban list. So, if you’re looking for a skincare set that is gentle on your sensitive skin + is truly good for you, check out this skincare package! It comes with the gentle daily cleanser, gentle daily moisturizer, soothing facial serum, and the soothing eye gel. You can either buy the package as a whole or only the products you want/need!
- Suggested retail price: $135.00
- Preferred Client price: $108.00 (click here on more information on being a PC!)
SKINCARE PRODUCTS FOR ACNE
I didn’t do this on the last post because I didn’t think about it, but if you struggle with acne and don’t know if you’re quite ready to commit to Accutane and its side effects, here are some products that might you might find helpful. I had already started Accutane by the time I had come across them and needed to focus on gentle skincare products rather than adding additional acne fighting cleaners + products. However, if you’re still working on trying to fight of your acne a little more naturally, take a look at these product lines below:
Arbonne’s Clear Future Collection – it’s a 4 set system that includes the Deep Pore Acne Cleanser, Corrective Acne Treatment Pads, Intensive Spot Treatment, and Mattifying Acne Treatment Lotion. Not included in the package is the Soothing Overnight Mask.
- Suggested retail price: $152.00
- Preferred Client price: $121.60 (again, click here for more details!)
Seacret Direct’s 30 Day Active Clear Set – achieve a notably clear, matte complexion with Aclear Facial series enriched with dead sea minerals for oily problematic skin. Receive the Active Clear Facial Wash, Active Clear Facial Toner, Essential Moisture Face Cream, and the Mineral-Rich Clarifying Mud Mask. You can purchase the complete package or buy the items individually.
- Suggested retail price: $168.37
- VIP price: $99.99 (automatically qualifies you as VIP prices + free shipping!)
I hope this post proved to be useful to any of you trying to do research or trying to get a look ahead of what your experience might look like. Thanks for reading!